Artists ask me all the time, “Where can I get good mats cut?” or “What’s a good resource for framing materials?” Rather than expound on the merits of making your own (I’ll save that for another post), I’ll just list a few reliable time-tested sources.
Mats and Backing
- mat.cutter.com 888-275-2464 (1-888-ASK-BING) Bing or Nancy. Pre-cut mats and custom sizes
- framedestination.com 877-537-2637 (1-877-5FRAMES) Pre-cut mats and custom sizes. Website allows online ordering of custom sizes.
- dixiematting.com 205-755-7558 custom sizes
Frame Mouldings – Retail
- American Frame 888-628-3833 (retail)
- Frame Destination 877-537-2637 (1-877-5FRAMES) Complete kits and Custom sizes
Frame Mouldings – Wholesale
- TC Moulding 800-735-302 (MN) or 800-632-4842 (MI)
- Decor Moulding 800-937-1055 (NY)
- Studio Moulding 800-262-4174 (CA)
Framing supplies – Wholesale & Retail
- United Manufacturers – 800-645-7260 (Wholesale, requires a reseller id)
- Talas – 212-219-0770 Archival and Bookbinding supplies (Retail)
- Light Impressions – 800-828-6216 (Retail)
- Jerry’s Art-a-rama – 800-827-8478 (Retail)
- Dick Blick 800-828-4548 (Retail)
Glass & Plexiglass
- Try looking for a distributor locally. In the Detroit metropolitan area, Circle Glass & TC Moulding can provide standard and custom cut TruVue glass by the case. Try not to use hardware store glass — UV or Reflection Control glass will help your work last longer. I like the Tru-Vue Conservation Clear, as it balances cost and effectiveness. Some folks like Museum Glass, but it’s a bit more expensive.
- For a Tru-Vue distributor near you, click here.
- For UV and standard plexiglas, you can order singles from American Frame, or find a distributor. AIN Plastic sells by the square foot in major metro areas.
Archival Mounting and Presentation services
- Laumont – 212-245-2113 – A very high-end digital printing and mounting company in NYC